Saturday, June 18, 2011

Graduating from awkward? I don't think so.


Let’s rewind to the week of graduation. My dear friend Annemarie and I have practically taken every class together in Biological Sciences since first semester Freshman year. I practically got a minor in “Annemarie Studies.” We’ve often dreamed of the day we would walk from our apartment to Little John while reminiscing on the past four years.

But the night before our 9am ceremony, Annemarie told me that her parents were going to pick her up and take her to breakfast beforehand. At the look of disappointment on my face, she quickly assured me, “Oh, but of course you’ll come.” Heck yes I’m coming. Not only was I not going to give up my morning of remembrance with Annemarie, but since when do I turn down breakfast?

So the next morning, the entire Verdin clan showed up in carvan to drive us to first sign in at graduation, and then go for breakfast. Bojangles? Chick-fil-a? Pot Belly Deli? So many good breakfast options in the Clemson area, and I was starrrrving.

After we waited in the torturous sign-in line, we once again got in the suburban, and headed… in the direction of the Madren Center? Huh? Well maybe we were going to eat breakfast there because some of Annemarie’s family had spent the night in the hotel. But when we got inside, a Senator greeted us at the door.

“Are you Annemarie? Congratulations on graduating. It is very impressive to persevere through 4 years of college. Well done. I have this tiger-paw pin for you, just like the one I wear.”

Annemarie took the pin and said thank you. I was just standing next to her, so she introduced me to him, “This is Lauren, she’s graduating today too.” The senator gave me the head nod.

* - Before this goes on any further, I should interrupt myself to let you know that Annemarie’s dad is a state senator. That’s where these connections come from.- *

We continue on into the Madren Center towards a room that is full of nicely dressed men and women. This is when it dawned on me that this was no continental breakfast. This must be the Trustee’s breakfast. How odd! As this thought was hitting me, I saw President Barker near the door. Then he was walking towards us, and like some scene from a strange dream he walked up to Annemarie.

“Annemarie? Wonderful to see you. What an exciting, meaningful day for you. Let’s talk about what you’ll be doing next year while we walk down this hall. I’d love to take some pictures with you and your family.”

So President Barker with all Annemarie’s extended family (and me!) in tow walk down to a fireplace area. President Barker asks some people sitting on couches to leave with just a word. Then we went around the room shaking people’s hands and meeting them.

“Annemarie’s sister? Wow, you should be proud of your sister. Follow in her lead. She graduated college and is going to med school. Work hard like her.”

“Annemarie’s brother? What an honor you have to have Annemarie as a sister. She is graduating from Clemson University. That’s a big, big deal you know. “

Then he comes to me. “Who are you?”

“Oh, I’m Annemarie’s friend. I’m graduating today, too.”

“Cool.” Then he turns to place the professional cameraman.

“Time for photos with the family. Can we get all family members to gather around?”

So I took this as my cue to hang around near the fireplace while the family paused. I took this time to bitterly wish I had a camera so I could take just one picture with the President. I was also jealous that Annemarie’s family was all at graduation, when I had barely convinced my mom to come. But my pettiness soon wore off at Annemarie’s blushing and the ridiculousness of the whole situation.

Then came time for the grand event- the placing of the class ring on Annemarie’s finger. And that was really the point of the whole gathering with President Barker. Annemarie’s dad didn’t get to see the ring ceremony, so it was a surprise for Annemarie.

Then President Barker tells Annemarie that his assistant Cathy will be taking her over to Little John. She asked whether I could come, too, and he says, “Sure, you can take your friend.” Yeah, that’d be nice, since I’m graduating and all. But I wanted breakfast, so I made her ask if we could stay and get a little breakfast.

“Why of course, Annemarie, get some breakfast! We don’t want you to be hungry for your graduation! Just tell Cathy when you are ready to go. I’ll be shaking your hand at the ceremony before you know it. And your friend can go with you if you want.”

Breakfast was delicious with little pieces of pineapple wrapped in bacon. I wandered around following Annemarie as different trustees congratulated her. Same story for each one; they gush about what a big deal graduating from college is, then I’m awkwardly standing next to Annemarie, then Annemarie introduces me and the trustee says something like, “cool” or “hi.”

But besides the whole jealousy part and the fact that my University President had zero interest in my graduating (you should’ve seen the “Do I know you from somewhere?” look he gave me while I shook his hand at the ceremony), it was such fun to see Annemarie’s humble response to it all. When she wasn’t getting flashed by the paparazzi’s cameras, I went up and whispered in her ear “I’m nevvver going to let you forget this, mwahahahaha.”

No comments:

Post a Comment