Monday, June 27, 2011

It seems the tables have turned... mwahahahaahaha

I work at a clinic on campus three days a week doing things like taking patient history, blood pressure, weight, height and samples. But do my patients know my job description? Noooope, half of them think I'm the doctor, and another quarter think I am a nurse, and the quarter that actually knows I'm nothing isn't very nice. The ambiguity of my job lends patients to spill their guts to me. Hehehe. Sometimes I'm confused on how they really think the graphic details of whatever it is...their sex life, their drinking habits or diet... really could help their doctor treat their health. Yeah... no one cares whether you fell after taking three steps or two, point is you fell.
Also, since the patients are already uncomfortable by my questions, they don't really know what I'm supposed to ask them, so I can ask whatever I want. And I'm a very curious person. This doesn't work on the quarter of people who know I'm a student with no skills. They ask me whether I really need to know their weight in a very haughty way. Yes we do. Then they tell me I took their blood pressure wrong, which could very possibly be true, but their complaints usually correlate with a high number. No, I'm sorry, but you really do need to exercise.
An added joy of asking awkward questions happens when a former professor walks in, unexpectedly. Often they recognize me and feel ashamed that they are humans and need check ups. For instance, a professor from a smaller class came in for her yearly GYN appointment. She knew me well enough to wave outside of class, but not enough to really know who I am, so it was a perfect mixture for a really uncomfortable patient history interview. She kept commenting on how awkward our meeting was, saying "This is so weird. I knew I shouldn't have come on campus. Oh gosh. I can't believe you know these things about me." I'd blush, but secretly reveled in her embarrassment, thinking back to a C on a test. But she really is a great lady, and a brilliant professor, so I asked her whether she wanted someone else to ask her the questions. But being the passionate educator she is, she allowed me to finish the history. After her appointment I apologized that it was awkward, and in typical nerd fashion I told her she was one of my favorite teachers. I think she appreciated it, but would have preferred a student-professor relationship that allowed her to keep her clothes on.

2 comments: